NACE Skills-Revised 2019 Classes
GPS Class-Skill: Critical Thinking/Problem Solving-Teamwork/Collaboration
- Throughout this semester we have mainly been focused on planning on fundraisers and with this we have ran into different struggles and stumbling blocks. This class has allowed me to learn how to deal with conflict head on. It has also really taught me to have patience and how to work with others more efficiently in a group. There were times where not all people would participate when necessary which allowed for some frustration, but it taught me how to get back on track without letting it bother me too much. This overall project and group effort have made me also really appreciate other people’s ideas. This is something that has been extremely tough through the semester, but I think that now all of us are beginning to learn from it. And for me personally, I think that I have learned patience, how to work with others and how to deal with conflict throughout planning this project. This will be useful in the workplace one day if I ever must do a group project of some sort of just communicating with my co-workers in general. It is important to have good people skills, especially with those whom you are working with. Teamwork and Collaboration is another one that was huge in that class that ties into everything that I have already mentioned. This will help in the workplace when I meet new people and am learning to work with others.
- English Comp 105-Skill: Written Communication/Digital Technology
- The skill of written communication has been thoroughly used for me, throughout this English class. I have learned how to express my feelings and my past through words that I write/type down on a sheet of paper. Not only am I doing this for a grade, but it is also a great way to type out your feelings to release them one way or another. Over the entire semester we have been working on one paper and I am currently doing mine on single parenting. This is where my written communication has come in the most. I can express my past and my experiences through communicating with my professor through the paper that I am writing. I have learned that it does not always have to be in first person for someone to understand that I am writing from personal experience. From the knowledge that I am writing this paper with it would be easy for a person to observe that this is something I witnessed and experienced growing up. This is also a place where I can work with digital technology because this class is solely based off doing online assignments and typing papers and such. This skill will also be useful someday in the workplace because of how technologically advanced the world is becoming. Communication skills will be helpful in the workplace someday also when I need to communicate feelings through an email or in a potential meeting that I may encounter.
NACE Skills Reflection 2018
- Skill #1 – Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Within our Comedy Central Civics class, I have been given the opportunity to figure out which political party I would consider myself to be put under. The assignment that really allowed me to figure this out was the paper we wrote on a certain political party and dug deeper into the meaning and beliefs behind each party. This opened my eyes to the republican party, democratic party, and the green party. These were all things that I had never had much knowledge of until I had written this paper. Critical thinking has played a huge role into this for me because for me to decipher which party I would consider myself to be apart of, I need to critically think and use a form of analyzation. If I had not taken time to do this essay, I would not have such a strong understanding of political parties. It led me towards deciding, as well as interpreting and using the knowledge that I had and the facts that I had been given.
- Skill #2 – Oral/Written Communications
- Within my English Comp 100 class I have been able to practice many different communication and oral skills. The first example that I have from this class is the very first paper we had written. We must analyze a song and we needed to present our information orally to our professor. This challenged my oral skills and made me realize that I am not very nervous about public speaking which was very reassuring for myself. The paper that we are currently working on is an argumentative paper. This has really allowed me to work with my written communications skills because I have never really written a paper that involved such a strongly based argument before. This has allowed me to gain better knowledge and understanding behind how to effectively grab the audience’s attention through what I am communicating to them. Because of this class I can articulate my thoughts better and put what I am thinking down onto paper with my ideas.
- Skill #3 – Leadership
- After my English Class every Friday I also take a Writing Studio course with the same professor to get extra help to improve my writing skills. In this class I have had the opportunity to work on my leadership skills. Every class time we split into groups and work on our writing skills and display what we have learned to the other groups. I have been able to lead since the first class of the year and because of this I have been able to better my leadership skills. I have noticed that I am usually always the person to take initiative. This is and will be very useful for my years to come in college when I have more chances of groupwork. I’ve realized that leadership is an extremely important skill to have throughout college and even throughout life. It is something that can really be used in the work place in the future. That is why this is such a great opportunity for me to work on these skills.